Wednesday, 25 April 2012

"Murdered in his bed"

The title, incidentally, is an Andrew Martin line. If you've not watched his YouTube videos (link here) you're missing out. Anyway, it seems to apply to black in this miniature - round 3 of the Surrey Congress U-180, where I played the 123-graded Malcolm Winter in a game that would influence my rating, as he is 1520. Black is never able to complete his development, and never emerges intact from the opening.


In some ways, this game has parallels with a similarly satisfying win in a Chess.com blitz game I had a few days ago - it's not worth a viewer, but if you have a board to hand, it was 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. f4 d5 4. fxe5 Nxe4 5. Nf3 Bc5?! 6. d4 Nxc3 7. bxc3 Be7 8. Bd3 Nc6?! 9. O-O Be6 10. Kh1?! a6 11. Bf4 Na7 12. Qe1 O-O? 13. Qg3 Re8?? 14. Bh6?! Bf8 15. Ng5! g6 16. Bxf8 Rxf8 17. Qh4 g5 18. Rf6! Qe7 19. Bxg6 Bg4 20. Bxh5 Bxh5 21. Qxh5 Rfd8 22. Qh7+ Kf8 23. Qh8# 1-0. If you don't have a board to hand, then it is enough to say that in both games, I produced a powerful initiative, kept producing threats, and never gave black a chance to push his own agenda. Yet ironically, I did it rather better with 5 minutes available than with 2 hours - the very slow 10. Kh1? could have allowed black to escape. But after 12. Na3 (of all moves!), black had to start preventing things for the rest of the game, and soon buckled under the pressure, allowing a quick decision.

 Any satisfaction that I did feel, however, was to be brutally wiped out by round 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment