It wouldn't surprise me if it were to be statistically proven that quick draws happen most regularly in the final rounds of congresses - those on the lower boards want to go home or indeed forget the event ever happened, whilst those at the top can clarify the prizes. Of course, that's by no means hard and fast - the two GMs in this event, one of whom was the aforementioned brother of my opponent, ground their way to victory at this stage to share 1st with 4/5, and in my 6 previous graded tournaments (London Junior FIDE Open, Docklands Rapid, Chipping Sodbury Rapid, Richmond Rapids 102/3, Jessie Gilbert U-2000 and Surrey Easter Congress) I've scored 6.5/7 in final rounds.
Still, it happened here, in 16 moves. And yet I actually found the brief middlegame an interesting one. My recent attempts to diversify my play into quiet positions and try some long-term strategy, Botvinnik-style, have been frustrated by opening disasters and an opening repertoire geared towards avoiding this. On this occasion, I got the chance, for a little while anyway.
The positive gloss on this result is that my less violent alter ego managed to hold a 180 to a draw with black in 16 moves. The more objective assessment is that I still suffered a concentration loss (14... Qb6?!) that made things uncomfortable for me. Only white's returning the favour by 16. Bg3?! prevented things becoming seriously difficult. Further, I didn't really get the position out of the opening I was aiming for - aesthetically, I was not comfortable with having ...d5 and ...b5, and indeed this was soon the cause of my struggles.
Still, it is evident that I can play such positions if I put my mind to it - the game was short, but lasted 2 hours, so both sides were fully engaging with the position. I was able to find a plan, I didn't make silly mistakes from loss of concentration as against Hardy/Nendick, and ultimately it was a respectable result.
The tournament was good fun, with the other two Bristol University players and a couple of others providing good company throughout, and of course an excellent venue despite the weather's best efforts. Once again, a fine advertisement for e2e4. However, my performance was below par; I was dreaming of 2.5/5 and targeting 2, and a grading performance of under 150 is not good. My play in the first two games makes a very poor impression, and although I picked up thereafter, I got a position to die for in round 4 and duly died 16 moves later. Anyway, the damage was done. Still, if I can carry forward my play in the second half of this event, then my recent patchy form will be a thing of the past soon enough.
Readers can look forward to another string of posts coming soon; I have no league game this week, but I am playing on board four for Bristol 1 at the BUCA Team Championship this weekend, an event consisting of 5 rounds. Although I have some strong potential opponents, many are somewhat lower so hopefully I can make up some of the points I lost here.
No comments:
Post a Comment