Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Taking one for the team

 Thursday witnessed our final league match of the term, in which we hosted Horfield. Before the match started we were respectively third and fourth in the league, seperated only by game points and probably the only two teams hanging onto South Bristol and Clifton, the duo slugging it out for the title. If we wanted to stay in contention, a win would be essential.

 It wasn't brilliant news then that I was forced to finally abandon my policy of being a reserve for home matches and put myself in the firing line. (Don't forget our matches and socials are on different days; we can't just pick someone up as needed.) I'm still not quite sure whether it was the magnanimous desire to be a punching bag, wanting to play a near-190, a boost in confidence or guilt about my B-team appearance, but I decided to stick myself above two 160s and play on board 4 this time. In theory that meant I could play a 188 if they had a full team out, but I didn't believe it would happen: he hadn't played any away matches yet and he was only there on account of poor form that looked to be on the mend. But it did! They had a good team that left us slight underdogs solely on account of my board: 196-198, e190-185, 186-182, 159-188, 165-164, 160-169.

 I had white against Stephen Dilleigh, who went on a fine run over the summer but seems to have settled back to normal. Indeed his league season hasn't been good by his standards and he's fallen a long way from his habitual board 1. For the most part, his play is extremely solid, so I thought I may have chances of getting something out of it - leaving aside the fact that I'm pathologically incapable of playing for a draw! He has a lot of experience of weekender tournaments though, and to thrive in that environment it's essential to be able to beat the bunnies with both colours. Just like in this game: the opening was a bit of an own-goal and left me on the back foot from very early on; despite a grim rear-guard action I missed my best chances to survive and was eventually worn down.



 This only finished twenty minutes from the end of the 3-hour playing session, but it was the second game to finish, after a very quick draw on the top board. It had looked good for us for some time; unusually it was our turn to fall foul of the blitz-finish, but we nevertheless had the last laugh and ran out 3.5-2.5 winners (DWDLWD.) So we're only 3 points behind South Bristol and 1 behind Clifton at the half-way mark: everything to play for! Thanks to the January exam period we won't be playing again until the very end of January, so that gap will probably widen shortly.

 So I was the only casualty - and with it my unbeaten run in the league. In some ways it was a burden; perhaps I can play with a little more freedom in the second half of the season. There's no shame in losing to Dilleigh, who played well, though certainly not perfectly: 22... Rc7?! and 26... Qe8? gave me unnecessary opportunities, and if we believe Fritz then 15... Nd6?! was also not the best. At least I was in the game, even if I was never pushing for anything. Typical that on a rare occasion when I get a line I was expecting, I don't concentrate and allow myself to be move-ordered! The position after 4... e5 isn't objectively all that bad - it's the blow to my confidence that is more serious. And only 28. Nb1? counts as a really serious mistake - before that, it was just a string of inaccurate moves that got me in trouble. But sometimes that's all it takes...

 After this, I had a hectic couple of days: the Friday was my last day of term at Bristol with two seminars thrown in, I had to rush from my accommodation to the train station, and finally got in at 11pm. Then I went to bed at 1 and got up at 7 to go to the London Chess Classic for a day! I managed to play a game as a filler on that day, which is next up to be blogged.

No comments:

Post a Comment