This time I had white, and I was playing David Gray (67/-). This was almost certainly not going to be as difficult a game as the other ones in the tournament, but I try to take all of my opponents seriously - and the course of the game proves it. Offered the chance to win a pawn at the cost of exchanging Queens and being stuck at the board for a long time, I didn't bother looking for a quick brilliancy, and just ground him down. Being gifted a piece sped up proceedings but I was not going to leave any room for doubt:
Although I only took outright third, and so wasn't in the prize places even for argument's sake, my 3.5/5 (including the half-point bye) gave me a 169 performance - my best ever slowplay tournament. Unfortunately, given the often extreme grading disparity, it's not clear what lessons I can apply to try and make my congress results a little less mediocre than normal. Lessons from my play across the tournament as a whole are more obvious: calculation can't be fixed overnight (though it seems to be an issue of organisation, at least in part), my play in the endgame continues to be completely random but badly in need of attention, and if I am going to insist on heading for messier positions than I like in search of winning chances as black, then I should at least be well-prepared.
With this game finished, my work as a filler was done and it was time to start annotating. A daunting prospect with seven games, but here we are! I haven't played since, so I am up to date again. The Golders Green Rapidplay at the weekend is a possibility, otherwise I should be playing for Castles in the CCF Superleague Cup next Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment