Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Work pays

 I guess the apologies for slow posting are getting stale now, so let's just jump into the next game. (Although things are about to get even worse, since the London Chess Classic is only a few days away.)

 Since I'm usually recruited for London League matches on the day, I took a straw poll in the office on what time the call would come - in the end it was about 3:45pm. This was for Drunken Knights 3 against Mushrooms, on board 5. Considering that this was Division 2, the strength of the league is obvious: 198-206, 191-193, e175-203, 170-184, 168-172, 164-166, e160-168, 155-157, 129-166, 115-150. I was playing Johan Rydahl (172), and had yet another black, my sixth in a row for slowplay games. But my black openings are actually working very well at the moment, and this was to be a dramatic success, not to mention a badly needed one. It's not often that the walk to a game lasts longer than the game itself:



My brief appearance didn't really help the team, since we're currently 3-6 down* (L?LWWLLDLD). It was a vital boost for me though. Of course there is no real skill involved in winning such a game, but I needed to get some confidence back somehow, and I could have won this in any condition.

If you're not planning to go near the Botvinnik System with a barge pole, then you probably zoned out of the annotations, but they make the point that there is rather a lot to learn. (That said, there are recurring patterns, and the position doesn't look quite as bizarre as it did when I first saw it.) White seemed to be feeling his way through from quite early on, but such an attitude doesn't fit with 5. Bg5, a principled move but one that must be justified. This was a nice reward for doing some work, but, perhaps like my strong results with 1. d4 d5 in general, I wonder if it's just because everything is relatively fresh in my mind. It's a bit of a last hurrah for having infinite study time, truth be told.

 Nevertheless, the long-awaited win was there at last - now the challenge was to show it wasn't a blip. Inevitably, the chance wasn't long in coming, for my next game was just two days later.



* Yes, there is one thing slower than my blogging, and that's the arrangement of adjourned games...

No comments:

Post a Comment