My first game, by the way, was a loss - white in a Petrov of all things, but I faced a 189 and got gradually outplayed. (I resigned after his 40th move... after the arbiters spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to set the clock for 40/90 + 30 +30s/move rather than G/90 + 30s/move!) But I'll come back to that after the tournament is over.
The Championship itself is probably stronger at the top than for several years, with Adams, Howell and Jones all playing. Today, both my game and puzzle are from the next rung down, starring two grizzled weekender veterans. Firstly, a nice brevity from Mark Hebden, where Black's pawn centre, bishop pair and active pieces prove more than enough for the sacrificed piece:
A few boards lower down, his usual partner in crime, Keith Arkell, wasn't so lucky, and was held to a draw in an opposite-coloured bishop endgame, having been in charge for most of the game. But he certainly had his chances...
![]() |
| O. Gill - K. Arkell: Black to Play |
We'll start off with a comparatively gentle one, since I expect Arkell will be kicking himself having missed this - he's certainly won endgames far more drawish than this one. What is the most conclusive way for Black to convert his two-pawn advantage into a win here?

No comments:
Post a Comment