Monday, 1 August 2016

British Championship 2016 - Day 6

Yesterday was the rest day at the British Championships, and likewise for this blog. (Though not for its author, who had a so-so result in the blitz before falling one agonising point short of victory in the annual quiz.) But play resumes later today, so it's time to review Saturday's round.

First, however, the solution to the puzzle I set last time:


Some contenders for Game of the Day were Adams-Tan, Coleman-Wells and Lyell-Ward. I think that my choice is more spectacular than any of them, although it might seem that I'm picking on Andrew Smith, who is on the losing side for the second time in four rounds. Unfortunately, he plays sharp openings and his opponents are always up for a fight!



And wrapping up with a puzzle, we join Dominic Miller and Phil Brooks on move 14 of what started life as a quiet English Opening.

D. Miller - P. Brooks - Black to Play

White's position looks plausible enough, but Black has been allowed to get dangerously active, and he can cash in even at this early stage. How?

No comments:

Post a Comment