Thursday, 9 August 2018

A night off from the Najdorf

In the second round I got another titled player, FM Conor Murphy (221/2336), who strangely has started playing much more chess since becoming a student at Cambridge. Unlike in our first meeting I did not have the advantage of being in practice, although I did know more about him and could see some chances. I believed that he was more of an attacking player than his openings would suggest - or would allow him to be - so hearing that he'd tried 1. e4 recently wasn't good news. I stand by my opening choice, which worked up to a point, but there are some positions in which being very direct is a good thing. Once we slipped into one of them I was unable to resist for long:



I returned to my hotel feeling a little frustrated - not at having lost an interesting game to a clearly stronger player, but because I was sure I must have had something around move 17. It was a scrappy game in many places, but my intuition was right that there was a clear trend even if I exaggerated it. Up to move 20 Murphy didn't pay much attention to my ideas, and gave me more counterplay than I really deserved (15. b4, 18. f4 and indeed 20. f5 are all examples). But the white pieces gave him a headstart, so the price of this was only that I could have equalised. After that point I had to think in specifics rather than concepts and came out clearly second best.

My most glaring sin was that I didn't slow down when calculating, as Aagaard puts it - after 20... e6 21. fxe6 I recaptured with the f-pawn, not even noticing alternatives let alone analysing them. Therefore, my correct conclusion that 21... fxe6?? doesn't work caused me to wrongly think that 20... e6 was unplayable. Aside from that I missed the Nxe7+ fork, and my fallback assumption when I went into the whole mess - that I could always just sacrifice a piece on g4 and expose the enemy king - was badly mistaken even if it remained in the background. In the end though I went down because I followed the path of least resistance and defended passively, rather than looking for a creative way to break free. White didn't have to do anything special after that.

My third-round game would prove to be one of only two in the whole tournament against untitled opposition, as well as the moment when things really started to take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment