Sunday, 10 February 2019

Making it easy

Good morning from the 4NCL in Telford, where I can't sleep and am clutching at the only internet access I'll get for the next fortnight. (Moving out requires some sacrifices, it would seem.) Whilst I've been away I have actually annotated both of my outstanding games, so let's get the first one out of the way - and return to the previous 4NCL weekend in Daventry for Sunday's match.

After being walloped by The ADs the day before, our meeting with Bradford DCA Knights was a collector's item - 189-202, 185-192, 188-184f, 175-179, 189-179, 176-179, 175-167, 158-160 put us moreorless on an even footing without any titled assistance, so naturally we were aiming to win.

As seems to be the way most of the time, I had black for the easier game of the weekend, against Roger Jennings (179/2027). The main feature of his play is how narrow his repertoire is - 1. g3 as White and 1... g6 as Black, game after game. Players like that obviously bring a lot of understanding to the board, but are easy to get outside of their comfort zone so it's no surprise that things go terribly wrong for them once in a while - which indeed was my summary of his games. Sadly, understanding won out on this occasion: some directionless play in the opening left me with no clear plan and I could only watch as the white pieces swept up the board:



The good news was a handsome win for the team (6-2; WWWLWWWL) which gives us real chances of making the promotion pool. Another 0/2 weekend for me was less pleasing, and I then had the drive back home in the dark - although since it forced me to concentrate on other things maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

Analysing this game I was reminded of my loss in the final round of last season - White won the battle of wills in the opening, took the game to their territory and then played very accurately, making any slip costly. In both games though, especially this one, I gave my opponent an easy ride. 9... Qc8?! was just the latest example of a common sin in my games - trying to extrapolate preparation without allowing for the small differences between positions. I was also far too complacent about 16. f4, which effectively marked the beginning of the end. Yet again I underestimated an opponent who won't get involved in A-grade theoretical disputes.

Losing two games in a weekend is never much fun, and the jolt of playing so badly convinced me that I needed to find some more time for chess. Therefore I accepted the invitation to play for Surrey in a key match the following weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment