In an earlier post I light-heartedly suggested that I was the victim of alphabetical bias in pairings. After seeing that in this round I had been upfloated and elevated to board 3 despite losing on board 4 in the previous game, I wondered if there might be something to the idea... Of course, it did not help that I had to play a 166, but these things happen, and I knew that he played an opening I am rather familiar with.
This time, unlike in round 2, I got the gambit I expected, and with it a fairly easy coast to a 15-move draw.
Although black, a considerably lower-graded player, achieved a straightforward draw here, I don't think there is cause for Smith-Morra fans out there to start panicking yet; after all, there have been far more serious dents to the cause before and yet the gambit remains a respectable weapon, certainly below master level. Even Tal and Fischer (and your author!!) have played it as white. But it shows the value of preparation, as I wasn't surprised this time and avoided the awful happenings of round 2.
I have at last finished blogging this tournament! It was an enjoyable one that I recommend to any local juniors, although for obvious reasons I myself won't be going again. Now I can move on to some team games, starting with a pair of bizarre rapidplay games for Castles...
No comments:
Post a Comment