Sunday, 5 February 2012

A nice loss

 On Sunday morning, I arrived to discover that I was playing Robert Starley, graded 159. Although I had the white pieces for the second round in a row, this was an unwelcome discovery. But, aware that he plays quite dull chess, I determined to make the game interesting, a plan that almost claimed a big scalp.


 So a mutually tough battle, but nothing to show for it in the end. Still, it is a rare thing; a loss that I am not especially disappointed with. I focussed my efforts on a Kingside assault, it didn't work and by the time I blundered my Queen away I was already two pawns down with little compensation. But it happens, and I had him thinking.

 One interesting aspect of the game, as alluded to in my comments after 9. cxd5!?, is the issue of stylistically-motivated moves. I made a move that was inferior, and suspected it, because I wanted an open game and an attack. Although I got a nice position, the obvious 9. c5 was the more logical path. I suspect that I am picking up this inclination to make needlessly irrational moves on the basis of an unnecessary urge to attack from my club captain at Castles, and he too has lost games to this psychological flaw. But there remain 35 grading points between us, and in the end neither the prosecution of the attack or my tactical sight was incisive enough here.

No comments:

Post a Comment