Monday, 27 January 2014

January 2014 Grades

 The new grading list has come out overnight - typically after I spent rather too much of the weekend grinding my F5 key into the dust, it appeared inbetween my going to bed at midnight, and getting up at 6am ready for a seminar this morning (the hard life of a historian, I know...)

 If I'm going into decline already, at least I'm doing it at a consistent rate - I bled three points again and emerged for slowplay at 156. Disappointing of course, but about what I expected. The same goes for rapidplay, where I made up those points and more to find myself at 148. So a net gain for the 6 months! Somehow it doesn't feel like it.

 Bristol University's other players have for the most part gained a few points, and so I find myself still firmly at the bottom of the grading order amongst the A-team players. But I have the captaincy, so easily solved! I'm playing our first match of the term on Thursday; a good omen I noticed this morning is that we've won every match this season when I've been playing (except for the one against Downend B, where we defaulted two boards and still drew.) Here's hoping we can keep that up...

 All in all, there have been better lists, but there's always another one to look forward to. My target for this one is to reach 170 (as it was for the previous two!) but most of my work for the year was concentrated in the first term - hopefully I can give a bit more attention to chess this time. But as ever, time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment