Thursday, 6 August 2015

British Championship 2015 Day 9

 My short trip to Warwick is now over, and I'm back at home. I saw some of yesterday's round, but the 3pm start for the afternoon rounds is really very late: I left at 6pm to get a 7pm train, and very little had happened by then. And that was an extreme time to leave - thanks to the joys of a tube strike I wasn't home until 11pm. Still, the games did finish in my absence, and with draws on the top 4 boards followed by decisive results on the next 8, it remains incredibly close.

 Yesterday's puzzle was a very simple one, and it suggests that fatigue is setting in now - Zhang is far too strong a player to make a mistake like this under normal circumstances:



 My Game of the Day was one that finished just before I left - the Vaganian Gambit of Hebden-Lewis. Black plays a line that I used to think was very strong, but still gets a difficult position; just as white's attack seems to be running out of steam, his huge lead on the clock makes itself felt and he breaks through. I saw the conclusion and was surprised that Hebden took about 5 minutes to play his 37th move!



 Unfortunately, picking a puzzle for today is very difficult: there are so many contenders! For some particularly gross oversights, the sadistic might like to look at Pleasants-Jarmany, Richards-Mason or Willow-Peacock. However, I've decided to be sadistic in another way, and go for a bit of a mind-bender.

S. Hegarty - J. Rudd - White to move
 In an incredibly sharp position and with very little time, white soon lost her way. But in the diagram, how can white launch an unexpected counter-attack?

No comments:

Post a Comment