Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Getting the basics right: Gatwick in review

"I've also become a little more conscious recently of what is required to play good chess. The Isle of Man was actually part of this: rediscovering the basics. If you do your basics right, it doesn't mean you'll play great, but it does give you a chance.

Can you explain what you mean by the basics?

The basics are: you've got to eat properly and regularly, you've got to sleep. No going out partying - though I've never really been a party animal anyway. At the Isle of Man, I kept a very simple routine, no distractions, you could even call it boring, but that's actually very helpful for tournaments because you reduce your choices. I was staying in a very simple B&B, a good walk from the tournament hall, which gave me a certain amount of exercise but not too much - you don't want to get exhausted. I was preparing as well, which is important."

Nigel Short, interviewed by Matthew Sadler and Natasha Regan in Chess for Life (Gambit, 2016)

'That's it?' the reader groans - 'you became a 190 for the week by going to bed early?' Perhaps it was a bit more complicated than that, but in dissecting my play in the nine games just posted, my central argument is that chess performance doesn't just depend on chess ability. Indeed, although I've been blogging with uncharacteristic haste in recent months, I hadn't really studied anything ahead of this result.

I think that the simple/boring routine played a big part. I could have commuted, but staying at the upmarket hotel that was the tournament venue proved very wise: there was no need to stress about catching trains, I was guaranteed a hearty breakfast, and I saved all of the travelling time. As Short advises, my time away from the board was extremely dull: I don't even drink, let alone go out partying (unlike some people in this event!), I did most of my preparation the evening beforehand and then checked it before each game, and I had a 15-minute walk each morning. I rounded the mornings off with 20 minutes of puzzles, and kept them easy as a confidence booster. Whatever effect all this really had, it was psychological assurance.

Basically, I played much the same as usual - only a bit better, and faster. All chess styles depend on background tactics, whether they lead to a mate or a piece reaching a better square, and the only change was that I was seeing all of these details, at least before the final day. This is a question of form, as my very different results in weeknight games show.

However, I did all of this in the summer for the Major Open, and didn't distinguish myself there. The difference was that I'd played lots of chess before this tournament and hit the ground running: a solid draw with black, a hold of an FM, and then a black win against a 175. Like I said in round two, I'm a momentum player and need the wind in my sails; in Bournemouth the tournament was half over by the time I finally won a game, but in Gatwick I could always feel that I was playing well, especially since I didn't dwell on the games by analysing them. The niggling problems were hidden from me.

Of course, I could have improved. I tightened up too much at the end, consumed by the uninspiring goal of getting to the end unbeaten. And, despite being a bit obsessive about saving energy, my play faded on the last day, as I missed what I would have seen earlier on. Since I don't even have enough in the tank for a long weeknight game, perhaps stamina is something I need to work on. And, whilst deploying a new system, ...c6 against the English, confused my opponents, I went for it prematurely without knowing the finesses. Overall though, a very successful week. 

To sum up the lessons: chess form depends greatly on physical condition, and being a monk for a few days may not be a bad idea. Feeling ready to play is important. Players of all styles are limited by their tactical vision, which should always be kept in shape. And you need to be able to play your best at the beginning and the end of an event. I got the basics right in Gatwick and was rewarded. It won't all work for everyone - Botvinnik pointed this out, yet the tales of followers imitating his methods and meeting with disaster are legion - but I hope it's something to think about. Above all, you can't expect to just rock up and play at your very best.

A shot in the arm though Gatwick was, it won't mean anything unless I can replicate the result - for all I know, it really was phases of the moon! But at least I know I am capable of something like this. The acid test will be to do the same in less hospitable conditions, and a CCF Superleague match on Halloween was my first attempt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment