Tuesday, 29 November 2016

Route-one chess

Yesterday evening saw me back in Coulsdon for the next CCF Superleague game - after a hectic October, I only played one other game this month. Castles were playing "Pawn Cocktail" this time, who are having the familiar experience of winning the second division and then summarily being sent down again: they had been whitewashed in both matches so far. Even with our top board missing, we were clearly stronger: 167-131, e150-131, 122-115, 103r-100.

I had white on board 1 against Dominic Warner (131/1590). I played him three times in quick succession a couple of years ago, also all with white, so I could guess what was coming: a Scheveningen Sicilian. In our time there aren't many people who will allow the Keres Attack, and for good reason - as early as move seven he made what is virtually a losing move:


A 3½-½ victory (WWWD) was a refreshing feeling, and it leaves the second half of the season nicely poised: after three rounds the various teams have 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 3 and 3 points - we're one of the sevens.

I was able to win with extremely direct play - only my last move was away from the black king, and even that was check! Black could obviously have defended more sternly, starting at move seven, but there is a parallel with the previous post: defence under pressure isn't something many of us at the sub-professional level can do at all well. As simple as it looked, I missed a few things beneath the surface, which isn't surprising when I rushed the game, using less than half an hour. 90|30 is luxurious for an evening game, and there was no reason not to calculate out 15. f5 before playing it. Likewise, I only noticed 16... Nf4 after moving. On this day the background tactics all worked for me even when I didn't see them; on another day...

Anyway, a win's a win as far as FIDE is concerned, and this game will join the previous eleven to to give me a huge gain of 78 Elo on the next rating list, taking me up to 1920. I still haven't caught up with my ECF conversion yet, but I'm getting there! I don't play any rated games for a little while though; next up should be another Castles match on Thursday, in the Lauder Trophy quarter-final.

No comments:

Post a Comment