Wednesday, 11 January 2017

An evening off

I got a small gift with which to kick off the second half of the tournament: a double white. This time I was playing Rohan Bansal (176/1987) - one of only two adults I faced over the six games, and only just!

The cold that I grumbled about when posting about the first round hadn't been too bad thus far, but I think it contributed to what was ultimately a non-event. Although the opening went well my batteries were flat, and some careless play meant that I was probably lucky he accepted a draw soon after:


I don't mention the cold as an excuse for how the game went; I don't land in the race-to-mate lines of the Steinitz Variation very often, and didn't understand the finesses as well as Bansal did. For some reason, I just underestimated ...f6, and after that I think that White has to be careful. The cold is only relevant because it made me unwilling to play; all three results remain possible in the end position, and recent form may have persuaded me to try to work with it. Or maybe not - we'll never know.

An early exit was certainly welcome, although it didn't really help: both of my games on the last day were also on the short side. The morning game was even briefer than this, although it wasn't for lack of trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment