Wednesday, 2 November 2011

All Rook endings are drawn

For the first game on the final day of the tournament, I was paired against the regular tournament player, 1885-rated Eoin Campbell. I had a difficult decision before the game: from his previous games, admittedly against players rather stronger than myself, he had left open the possibility of white forcing a quick draw. If this came up, would I play it? A draw is a nice result objectively, but I should be at least trying to win, especially with white. I would certainly not be popular with my opponent. As it happened, I didn't get the chance, and it soon became the least of my worries, as my inferior endgame technique reared its ugly head once again.


I habitually play on board 3 for the Sutton Grammar first team (we have 4 teams of 6 boards), but it's a common contention that I'm the worst endgame player in the school. On the evidence of the above, that assertion is unlikely to change any time soon. Of course, credit should be given to Campbell for not losing heart, getting active and holding a draw having been two pawns down. But despite the technical difficulties, I really ought to have won. "Constant vigilance!!" as J.K. Rowling's Mad-Eye Moody would say...

No comments:

Post a Comment