Tuesday, 1 November 2011

A Depressing Draw

 After three rounds, I stood on 1/3. It's an interesting score for a tournament player: to be sure, the high boards already begin to look some way away, and indeed I got no higher than board 8 of 20 for the rest of the tournament, but get one win and you're straight back to an even score, from which anything can happen. There were rather worse pairings I could have ended up with, so I was hoping for a win in this game, against the 128-graded junior, Daniel Muir. I've played him before, and won the game. It was a morning game, so I could prepare - with a record of our previous meeting, confirmed by a game in the same line his father played the day before this game, doing so would be easy - or so I thought...


 A draw that might well be termed a success for Muir, who was surely happy from the beginning with a draw. He has undoubtedly improved since we last played nearly a year ago; I did win on time as mentioned in the notes, but I had reached a clearly won position by that point. 3... dxe4 was a much better choice than his previous 3... Nc6, that I was able to steer to a much more interesting position. This time, he stood firm against my attempts to launch an attack, and rather easily rebuffed them. I on the other hand was more disappointed: I had wanted to win, yet felt compelled to acquiesce to a draw against a lower-rated player, with the white pieces, in a mere 23 moves.

 I suppose this game leaves the ball in my court - how to gain an advantage from the opening against the Rubinstein French? Or rather, how can white make something out of the advantage that white can get without really trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment