This game has certain worth, as a model game in how to make use of a space advantage. Admittedly, I am not blown off the board in a 20-move sacrificial mating attack, instead succumbing in an endgame on move 46. But white is able to exert an annoying squeeze on me that persists throughout the game - instructively, even after the major pieces quickly follow one another off the board - and eventually causes me to err under the strain, presenting him with a piece and a point. This after I landed in an opening I play only very rarely...
(n.b. - Omtvedt's "grade" of 153 is merely a conversion, along the usual formula of [ECF*8]+650=FIDE.)
I was quite confident after we reached an IQP position - my score against them is very good, and would be even higher if not for repeatedly misplaying endings against higher-rated players in which I am a pawn up for nothing. But my opponent is presumably quite experienced in them, for he proceeded to slowly grind me down. With all due respect to Messrs Prior and Doran, I think this is the only game of the tournament in which I was outplayed from start to finish.
At last, I have finished the Gatwick Major competition! More games to follow very soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment